- Goals & Objectives
- Participating Health Centers
- Community Outreach
- Our Locations
What is the Paragard® IUD?
The Paragard® IUD is a t-shaped device with copper that keeps you from getting pregnant.
IUD stands for “Intrauterine Device”: which means it is inside the uterus. A doctor or nurse puts the IUD in the uterus, which is inside a woman’s body above the vagina.
ParaGard® Quick Facts!
- Hormone-free birth control
- Over 99% effective
- Releases copper ions that act as spermicide
- Works up to 10 years
- If a woman wants to become pregnant the device can be removed at any time
How does the ParaGard® IUD work?
IUDs work by preventing the sperm from reaching the egg. The non-hormonal IUDs is wrapped in copper, which is toxic to sperm. This stops the sperm and keeps you from getting pregnant.
How do I use the IUD?
A doctor or nurse has to put the IUD in for you. Once they put in the IUD, you don't have to do anything! You are protected from pregnancy until you choose to have it removed, or up to 3, 5, or 12 years depending on the type of IUD. Just don't forget to use a condom every time you have sex, because the IUD does not protect against STDs.
How well does the IUD work?
The IUD works really, really well. It is one of the very best forms of birth control. It's over 99% effective: if 100 women use the IUD, on average less than 1 will become pregnant within a year.
- Over 99% effective
- Easy to use
- Lasts up to ten years; can be taken out at any time
- Since there are no hormones, you should have your menstrual cycle (your period) as usual.
- Quick return to fertility - once you take it out, you can become pregnant
- Forgettable - no risk of forgetting to take a pill or put on a patch, you're covered!
- Does not protect against STDs or HIV
- Some women have heavier periods and possibly more cramping during periods - but usually this gets better after a few months
What if I want to get pregnant?
No problem! You can get the IUD taken out by a healthcare provider any time you want, and as soon as it is out you'll be able to become pregnant again. If you got the IUD through our services, we'll pay to have it taken out - so it's still completely free for you. Just call us at 731-468-STEP (7837) to set up an appointment.